(Description du poste en français ci-dessous)
QueerTech Board of Directors applications are open!
QueerTech continues to grow and expand its impact across Canada. We are currently looking to add 5 new members to our current board of directors starting in May 2023.
Our Mission as an organization
QueerTech is a nonprofit organization. We strive to queer the tech ecosystem by breaking down barriers, creating spaces, and connecting communities to support and empower LGBTQ2S+ people to thrive. Our community has over 9,000 members across Canada. We have over 120 corporate partners and over 75 community partners.
In 2016, QueerTechMTL was created as a meetup group in partnership with MontrealNewTech, to surface and connect fellow LGBTQ+ (Queer) professionals within the local tech industry. We quickly grew from casual meetups into a center of LGBTQ+ tech activity, and within 2 short years, we incorporated as QueerTech, a non-profit organization headquartered in Montreal.
We value inclusivity, helpfulness, accessibility, and pride, and we believe that in order for queer people to fully thrive as their authentic selves, we must build resilience, encourage self-empowerment and create a sense of belonging!
Our Board of Directors plays a critical role in setting the strategic direction and vision, providing financial oversight, and ensuring legal compliance. We are looking for seasoned and dynamic individuals who are passionate about helping us fulfill our mission.
Our Board also has a fiduciary responsibility to act in the organization's and its stakeholders' best interests.
Board Members are elected for a two-year term.
As A Board Member, your duties include, but not be limited to:
- Approving and monitoring the organization’s mission, vision, and strategic goals
- Developing and approving annual budgets
- Ensuring the organization’s financial health and sustainability
- Overseeing and evaluating the organization’s management
- Approving and monitoring the organization’s policies and procedures
- Approving and monitoring compliance with relevant legal and regulatory requirements
- Representing the organization to the public and to stakeholders
- Identifying and recruiting new members of the Board of Directors
- Participating in fundraising efforts
- Attend a minimum of (3) in-person or virtual board meetings per year
- Attend (1) working committee meeting per quarter.
- Additional tasks outside of meetings are usually related to your committee or community work
- Occasionally asked to attend QueerTech and other community events as a representative of QueerTech
Your Qualifications and Skills
You are someone who firmly believes in QueerTech’s mission, and can bring your own unique perspective to our growing organization. We are always looking for ways to do things better, so you can’t be afraid to speak up, ask questions, and take ownership and pride in your work.
- 2SLGBTQ+ person or an active ally
- Experience in the tech ecosystem (current or previous)
- An interest and aptitude for strategic planning, designing new processes and scaling up organizations.
Although it is not required, we are hoping to find board members who meet any of the below roles or areas of expertise:
- A lawyer versed in Canadian and Quebec law.
- A CPA or Finance Expert
- An expert in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- An expert in Marketing & Communications
- An expert in Human Resources and Recruitment
Each Board member serves for a two-year mandate with a maximum of three terms.
We encourage Indigenous persons, People of Colour, or persons from groups underrepresented in management positions to submit their applications.
The Application and Interview Process
The application deadline is April 3, 2023
Interviews and new board member announcements will occur on a rolling basis through September 2023.
For any questions, reach out to Naoufel Testaouni, Co-Founder and CEO at [email protected] or Andy Saldaña, Co-Founder and COO at [email protected].